Friday, March 4, 2011

Just a bunch of hogwash and hooey

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but whenever I visit an online dictionary site I get ridiculously distracted by all links to 'words of the day' and 'word games' and 'word blogs'. I typically forget what I came to search for in the first place, and wind up taking some stupid quiz or playing with flashcards. I attribute this to both my nerdy and procrastinatory tendencies.  

In any case, I was on the Merriam-Webster website yesterday, and found the link to a list they made of 'Top 10 Rare and Amusing Insults'. Score. They're awesome, and reminiscent of my favorite insult in the exchange between Kent and Oswold..."whoreson cullionly barber-monger". I've listed them below, but I'll also give you the link, because they provide you with definitions, along with context and information about the words. Ahem...

Cockalorum
Lickspittle
Smellfungus
Snollygoster
Ninnyhammer
Mumpsimus
Milksop
Hobbledehoy
Pettifogger
Mooncalf

I think I might pick a fight just so I can try some of these out (though I can imagine it would end quickly with the other person walking away stunned and disgusted, possibly laughing, muttering something about "those weirdo English majors" under their breath).

There are plenty more word lists on the site, and I clicked on one called 'User Submitted Words' and found it to basically be a bunch of neologisms that people have thought up and submitted. It's almost better than the list of insults, including words like 'drizzmal' and 'e-cquaitance'.

(there was also a list of phrases from Shakespeare, but I thought that one was silly, so don't bother yourself with it)

Fellow word nerds, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment